Inspiration: Stay Motivated When You’re Tempted to Quit
Last week we gave you tips to help you motivate your team. This week we’re talking about keeping yourself motivated and inspired. It’s difficult to share inspiration with others if you’re feeling less-than-inspired yourself.
Leading your own business can be challenging, especially when you’re not feeling motivated or are becoming frustrated by your results, or lack thereof. Even though you know business can be cyclical – that is, some times of the year are better than others, it can be challenging to want to work hard on your business when you’re not getting the results you expected.
The key to overcoming feelings of frustration is to become inspired. Inspired by your business, the people in your network, your team, and your life in general. Inspiration is a personal thing. What inspires you may be different from what inspires others. However, once you’ve figured out what inspires you, you can tap into that inspiration whenever you recognize that you’re starting to feel your motivation waning. It all starts with your Why.
Why do people quit?
People quit network marketing for a variety of reasons. Often, they’re not getting the results they want within a certain timeframe. Many are impatient and want success with limited effort. Or they’re so wrapped up in comparing themselves to other people’s successes that they think there is something wrong when they’re not achieving the same level of success in a short amount of time. Success takes time. What we don’t see is the hard work that goes on behind-the-scenes to reach the levels of success. Additionally, we become so caught up in comparing ourselves to others that we fail to remember that success is personal to everyone. What you see as “success” may be different from how another person measures it.
Another reason people quit is out of frustration. The reality of building a thriving network marketing business isn’t measuring up to their expectations. When they got into network marketing, they saw others achieving success and wanted that for themselves. However, they may not be seeing results as quickly as they thought or they’re finding it difficult to build their networks. Or, it seems like they’re putting in a ton of work, trying to build relationships by reaching out to people but those people aren’t reaching back. It can feel very one-sided when you’re trying to help and serve everyone in your network but they’re not responding to you. In reality, people are busy and, while the other person appreciated that you reached out, they forgot to reach back. Perhaps they have the intention to respond but just haven’t had a chance yet.
These are two of the most common scenarios that cause people to quit. They feel it is a fool’s errand to keep working hard and putting in the time when they’re not getting the results they want or had hoped to see in return. They may think they’re no point in continuing to work hard and reach out to their networks if it feels like they’re just messaging into the void.
Is this reality? No, but it’s tough to see beyond your frustrations when things aren’t going as you planned. So, what can you do when you’re feeling the urge to pack it all in and quit?
Find your Why – Tap into your inspiration
What’s a Why?
Your Why is the reason you continue to put in the work, day in and day out. It’s what keeps you going when it’s slow and no one is responding to you or it’s so busy that you’re feeling frazzled. It helps you maintain perspective when you’re frustrated that you’re not growing your business large enough or fast enough for your ambitious goals.
Your Why is the best motivator you have. It’s at the core of inspiration and is more motivating than a favorite song, quote, or mantra. Because you feel your Why so personally, it can quickly snap you back to focus on the task at hand and give you that final surge you need to keep going, even when challenges await. It prevents you from making excuses when it feels easier to skip your daily Power Hour or quit. It’s at the core of everything you do, from serving your network to running your business.
But, what is it? Well, that’s deeply personal. Your Why will be different than anyone else’s. “Why” is the reason you decided to start a network marketing business in the first place. It can be a person, an intention, an over-arching goal. We do things for many reasons. Perhaps we want to gain more financial independence or build a nest egg for a fun family dream vacation. Maybe we want to free up our time so we can spend it with the people who are most important to us. Whatever the reason, that’s your Why. When you embrace your Why, you’re harnessing the most important motivation out there.
Inspiration tip: How to find your Why
Finding your Why is one of the most important things you can do, especially if you want to achieve success in business. We think it’s so important that we made it part of your setup process when you join Teamzy.
Many people get their Why and their goals confused. While they may be similar for some people, overall, your Why is the core reason you do what you do. Additionally, although your Why may not change drastically, it can evolve over time. This is why we encourage you to go through the process of discovering your Why every year or so and try to get to those deeper levels.
To find your why and the core of your inspiration, ask yourself the following:
- Why did you choose to become a network marketer? You could have done many things, but why did you choose to get into network marketing and why the product or service that you’re offering?
- How has the produce or service changed your life? Many network marketers choose their business because it had an impact on their lives – they feel a personal connection to it. Did you experience dramatic results after using the product and want to share your story with others? Or, did you have a problem that your product or service solved? Having a personal connection allows others to connect to you and your business.
- What is your ultimate goal? What do you hope to get out of building a network marketing business? Did you go into it to make a bit more money or because you want to inspire others with your story?
- What does achieving your goals mean to you? To your family? What does it look like when you achieve your goals? Does it mean that you’ll have more financial freedom or more time to spend with your family and friends? This is your opportunity to deep dive into your Why. Try visualizing your life once you’ve achieved success. What do you see? How do you feel? This can help you put into words the ultimate answer to this question to help you get to the core of your Why.
- Why is your Why so meaningful to you? This is personal to you.
Once you’ve had time to think about and answer these questions, write it down. It often helps to post your Why where you can see it. It could be in words – in the form of a Why statement – or it could be a picture that reminds you of your Why. Whatever it is, post it where you can see it, especially where you work on your business. That way you can glance at it when you need a quick burst of inspiration.
Reconnect to your Why
It’s easy to lose sight of your Why over time. You may get busy and simply forget all about it. Although you’re less likely to lose sight of it when it’s posted, you may forget to look at it each day before you start your Power Hour or when you need a bit of inspiration.
Keep your Why top of mind for a surge of inspiration
- Read your Why statement regularly. Although some network marketers read it daily, others read it when they need a quick pick-me-up. Display it where you’ll see it on a daily basis.
- Live your Why. Each time you read your Why statement, reflect on the meaning. It helps to visualize in order to feel more closely connected to your goal.
- Use it to help you make decisions. Having a Why helps you sort your priorities. What will help get you closer to living your Why and your goals? Use it when making decisions to help you figure out what to do. If it abides by your Why, then choose it. If not, then you may consider giving it a swerve.
What if your Why is no longer an inspiration?
Sometimes, we feel disconnected from it because we’ve changed or evolved. Maybe our motivations have shifted and evolved as our businesses have grown, or perhaps because we have evolved and grown personally. Sometimes you feel you just need to check in and assess the relevance of your Why in relation to what you want for your business.
Whatever the reason, it’s always a good idea to review your Why periodically. How often is up to you. You may wish to reconnect to it annually or maybe every few years. Or maybe review it as you achieve the big goals you’ve set. Ask the questions above again and visualize your future. Once you have your Why in mind, write it down and post it where you can see it. This is an ever-evolving process; one that will help you get closer to living the life of your dreams.
Teamzy makes it easy to find your Why
We created Teamzy to make network marketing easy and fun. Part of this is making sure you’re building the foundation for the business you love. It’s more than a CRM; it can help you build the foundation for a strong network marketing business. What are you waiting for? Click here to learn more.