Success: Are You Standing in Your Own Way?
What stands between you and achieving success and building a thriving network marketing business?
Everyone wants to succeed and has their own unique answers about things that are holding them back. However, the most common factor – one that you may not even realize – is yourself.
You may wonder, “Why would I hold myself back from success? I want to succeed!” Although you may say you want to succeed, some unconscious behaviors may be holding you back. In fact, you may discover that you’re standing in your own way. How does this happen?
Afraid to fail/afraid of success
You’ve heard of having a fear of failure. No one wants to fail, and for that reason, many fear the act of failing. Fearing failure is normal, especially when you’re working outside of your comfort zone and are in the process of building a network marketing business. In fact, failure can create a wonderful opportunity to try again, this time with hard-earned lessons in-hand. In the moment though, it can be difficult to see failure as an opportunity. For that reason, many do all they can to avoid it, and as a result, they work themselves up with anxiety to avoid doing the wrong thing.
However, the flip side is also true – some people are afraid to succeed. It sounds strange, doesn’t it. You may wonder who would fear success; after all, isn’t that the point of starting a business, to have it succeed? The reasons for this fear are many, and some are very personal. While some fear that success will change them personally, others fear that it’ll change their relationships with those around them. They fear the change that may occur once they’ve built a successful business. The old adage says that money changes people, and for those who fear success, they think there’s something to it. They become overcome with anxiety as well, and as a result they may subconsciously sabotage their businesses in an effort to avoid becoming too successful.
How to overcome it
Perspective helps you overcome any fear you may feel about failure or success. To get perspective, there are a few things you can do.
- Get a coach. A coach can offer their unbiased insight and advice when you need it the most. Since they have no vested interest in your success, they can provide a high level of honesty in regard to your progress. They can also help you develop a plan to help you get and stay on track to achieve your goals, regardless of your fear.
- Check your progress. Teamzy makes it easy to see where you’re at in your business. You can see how close you are to achieving your goals so you can see if you’re on track or need to get back on course.
- Reconnect with your why. The reason you started your business and work as hard as you do each day is powerful. It’s also a powerful antidote that can help you face your fears. Take a few minutes to remember your why.
Anxiety about doing something wrong or that gets in the way of success
There isn’t one single perfect way to build a network marketing business. The stories of successful network marketers are all different. Although they may have encountered similar challenges and milestones, they all endured different circumstances on their journey to success.
However, many up-and-coming network marketers may think there is only one way to succeed. They may get hung up on doing the process perfectly. Similarly, they may get hung up on connecting with everyone in their networks perfectly – saying the perfect thing, at the perfect time, to the perfect type of person.
Even if they’re not hung up on perfection, they may be anxious about doing the wrong thing. Saying the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time. Or reaching out and then wondering when the right time to follow up is – after all, they don’t want to seem overeager or annoy the other person. Unfortunately, they may become so concerned about doing the wrong thing that they don’t do anything at all, including work on their businesses.
How to overcome it
“Pursue wholeness instead of perfection”
“Perfection” comes from practice. If you want to overcome your anxiety, you have to work through the fear and do your daily activities that help grow your business. The more you do the work, the more comfortable you’ll become.
- Connect with your network. Log into your Teamzy Dashboard and connect with your list for the day. Don’t worry about who to contact and when – we have it all figured out for you. All you have to do is sign in and work through your list. If you’re not sure what to say, we have lots of scripts to help you get started, whether you’re connecting with an old friend or a friend of a friend.
- Ask for introductions. If you want to grow your business, you have to add prospective customers and team members to your network. Since you’ve spent time nurturing and developing your relationships with your network, ask your best advocates for introductions to other people like them. What better way to build a network full of people you enjoy helping than by filling it with people just like your best people? The best part of this is since you’re already comfortable with them, you may find it easier to build relationships with the people they introduce you to.
- Make time for your business each day. The best way to build a strong business is to strengthen it by working on it every day. No excuses. No pushing it down your list when other things demand your attention. The good news is you don’t need to spend eight solid hours a day on your business to begin to achieve your goals. Although we advocate for an hour a day (the Power Hour), it normally takes less than an hour, unless your network is very large. Most people can contact everyone on their lists within a half hour or less. If you have a whole hour to spend on your business, spend the remaining time working on your personal development, which will make you a more effective network marketer, especially as your business grows.
Living for the “What if…” instead of the right now
Let’s just say up front that planning is vital for any business. It’s important to think of the future and plan for it by setting goals and creating systems to help you get there. However, while it’s important to plan for the future, if you want to succeed in business and life, don’t live in the future. Be present in the here and now.
Many people become focused on the What ifs of business. What if I don’t meet my goals this month? What if none of my advocates want to introduce me? Or, what if no one buys from my business or wants to join my team? You could “What if” all day and come up with a ton of scenarios that aren’t likely to happen. But, that’s not the worst part of it – the more time you spend getting stuck in the “What ifs” the less time and energy you’ll have for your business. And that would be the worst thing of all.
How to overcome it
Plan for the future but focus on the present. What can you do now to make a bright future, one where you’ve reached your goals, a possibility?
“Enjoy all you have while pursuing what you want” – Jim Rohn
While you’re busy building a successful network marketing business, don’t forget to have fun and enjoy the process along the way. Of course, you’ll encounter challenges, from no one responding to you to feeling like you’ve hit a plateau in your business. However, each of the challenges you face provides the opportunity to learn a lesson. If and when you face the challenge again, you’ll know what to do (or what not to do) to overcome it. And, when you do achieve your goals, it’ll make your victory so much sweeter when you think back on all that you overcame to achieve your goals.
Teamzy can help you on your journey to success
With Teamzy, you’ll always know where you stand on your journey to achieving your goals. Log into your Dashboard to see who you need to contact each day, access scripts, see how close you are to reaching your goals, and access training to help you sharpen your skills. We developed Teamzy with network marketers in mind, specifically network marketers who work from the heart. We’ll help you build relationships with your network as you grow your business. Click here to learn more.