Do a Midyear Goal Check-in
We’re more than halfway through the year. Now is the time to do a goal check-in and see how close you are to achieving them.
This essential business task can bring up one of two strong responses. Some network marketers are excited to do a goal check-in. Perhaps they do a regular goal check-in and already know where they stand at all times. They could do one monthly, or if they’re super motivated, every week at the start to get a gauge on the week.
The other reaction can range anywhere from a loud groan to a sigh. These network marketers may not do regular goal check-ins. Sure, they set goals, but they may “set and forget” them a few months down the road. Or, they may convince themselves that they know in their heads how close they are to achieving their goals, so they never do a check-in review. These network marketers are often the most surprised that they’re off the mark at the end of the year. The good news is, it doesn’t have to be this way. There’s still plenty of time to get back on track and achieve your goals by the end of the year.
What is a midyear goal check-in?
A midyear goal check-in is a review of your progress toward your goals. It involves looking at all of your numbers to assess how close you are to reaching your annual goals. Teamzy makes this process super easy by keeping track of your numbers for you. You don’t have to track anything on a whiteboard or spreadsheet. Simply login and see your progress. You can do this anytime and we encourage you to do it regularly to ensure you always stay on track. It also involves thoroughly reviewing your goals to assess if they’re still achievable and what has to be done to do so.
Why should you review your goals?
Midyear is a natural point to pause and reflect on your goals for many reasons.
- After six or seven months, you have the processes in place to help you achieve your goals. That means you’ve had more than six months of daily (or several times a week) Power Hours to build the relationships with people in your network and grow your network marketing business.
- This leads to having more than six months of numbers and results at your disposal. You can review your numbers and see how they are related to the growth of your network. With this information, you can see what’s working and what isn’t.
- The hard data will give you a much clearer picture of your progress. For example, you may feel like you’re off the mark, but if you look at the numbers, you may be on track, and vice versa. Sometimes network marketers overestimate their progress and then when they review their numbers, they’re surprised they’re not as close to reaching their goals as they had thought. At midyear review allows you to get perspective and see if you need to change your habits to make your goals a reality.
How to do a goal check-in
First, log into Teamzy so you can have all of your numbers and your goals in front of you as you go through your assessment. Ask yourself the following questions.
Am I on track to achieve my goals?
Although this seems like a straight-forward question, it may prove tricky to many. It requires an honest look at your numbers. For example, if you set ambitious goals at the beginning of the year and you feel you’re not where you should be by now, you have two options:
- Ramp up your activities so that you’re connecting with more people in your network more often. This would include doing Power Hours every day instead of two or three times per week. The good news is, now that you’ve done a goal check-in, you can see how much you need to boost your productivity to reach your goals.
- Revise your goal so that it’s achievable. Although it’s good to have ambitious goals, they should also be tenable. So while the initial goal may make a great long-term, two- or three-year goal, perhaps the bar should be set lower for the year. Or, life happens and perhaps something happened that made it difficult to stay on track. Although you could ramp up production to achieve the goal by the end of the year, that may not be possible. Consider revising the goal so that, while it’s still ambitious, it’s within your reach by December. This option should be a last resort when you’re sure that you can’t possibly reach your goals by the end of the year.
Things to consider
- Does your business have periods of ebb and flow? That is, are there times of the year when business is normally busier than others? For example, if you’re in the health and wellness industry, you may find that business booms at the beginning of the year and at the beginning of the summer, and slow down around the holidays. In order to stay on track, you may need to reach out to and follow up with more people in your network during the busy times. This will allow you to stay on track when business is slow.
- How long have you been in business? New network marketers may be busy working to build their businesses; however, their numbers may not reflect their effort. Building trust with the people in your network takes time, and while they may like you, they may not buy from you or join your team right away. Conversely, if you’ve been in network marketing for a while, you begin to understand the nature of the business more. This allows you to set more accurate goals as well as plan for potential slow down periods.
What’s working? What needs improvement?
As you work toward your goals, you may observe things that are going well and things that could use improvement. For example, you may be proud of yourself for carving out time for a Power Hour a couple of times per week, but you may want to do them daily. Or, perhaps you’re struggling to find the right thing to say, especially to new connections. Maybe you’re struggling to remember to login to Teamzy daily to do your Power Hour or you just can’t focus because there are too many distractions.
This is your time to figure out what you need to keep doing and where you need to improve. If you want to improve your connection to your network, refer to the scripts on Teamzy. We have scripts for a variety of relationships, from people you know well to new introductions to people you haven’t spoken with in a long time. Read them through and use them verbatim or as a launching point for your own, unique message.
If you want to add more Power Hours to your week, schedule it into your day. Often the only way anything gets done is if it’s put in our calendars. Whether you do your Power Hour in one sitting or break it into smaller chunks of time, be sure to put it in your calendar and set reminders, if necessary.
After your goal check-in, do something each day to get you closer to your goals
Achieving goals takes time
This is especially true if your goals are ambitious. Whether you’re on track or have fallen off, there are still five months to achieve your goals. A lot can happen in those five months, especially if you have renewed motivation to succeed. So, if you’re behind, don’t waste time getting down on yourself. Instead, use it as motivation to help you succeed and achieve your goals.
Trust the process
Every activity you do brings you one step closer to achieving your goals. That means every Power Hour you do pushes you one step closer. Every introduction you ask for gets you one step closer. Even every follow up you make brings you one step closer. The more you do the work to grow your business, the more your business will grow.
Now, this may be hard to remember at those times when you’re working hard, but aren’t seeing the results you had expected. We all have those days where it seems like we’re messaging into the void. No one is responding to us or they’re not responding to us as quickly as we’d like. It’s important to remember at these times that 1) it’s part of network marketing, 2) it happens to everyone, and 3) it won’t last. People are busy and before long they’ll respond to you.
Challenges are inevitable
In every success story, there are challenges and setbacks. Every network marketer experiences them. What separates the most successful network marketers from everyone else is they’re able to overcome them. They understand that these challenges are temporary and still continue to work hard, day after day. After all, they’re part of the overall journey.
Teamzy makes it easy to check-in with your goals
From setting goals to reviewing them to achieving them, Teamzy is in your corner every step of the way. Click here to learn more.