What’s Your Why?
You may have heard that question from someone on your team, your mentor or your coach. Or, you may have asked it of yourself as you’re working to grow your network marketing business. What is your why? That is, what is your reason for working hard to build a successful and thriving network marketing business?
For some network marketers, it’s an easy question to answer. They know right away what their why is and use it daily to help keep them motivated. However, most pause when they hear the question. Although they may have a general idea, they’re not exactly sure what it is. Some may even say they don’t have one! If you’re motivated to succeed, you have a why.
In reality, your Why played a crucial role in starting your business whether you realize it or not. After all, what motivated you to start your business in the first place? Maybe you wanted to earn money and serve people at the same time. Or, maybe you wanted to break free from the 9 to 5 corporate job. Perhaps you went back to work and realized something changed – your outlook or even the company you worked for. Maybe you’re like many network marketers and started your business as a side hustle and realized you wanted to turn it into your full-time hustle. Whatever your reason it mattered enough to you to take your future into your hands and make the life-changing decision to grow a successful business. And that stems from your Why.
The power of your Why
The best motivator out there is your Why. Since you have a personal connection to it, it’ll keep you on track and motivated when you feel disconnected from your business or distracted by the less important demands of your day.
Your Why keeps you from making excuses to quit when you have a tough month or even a tough day. It gives you motivation when you’re thinking of setting less-than-challenging goals. Most importantly your Why gives you a reason to get up and do your Power Hour each day, follow up with your network, and deliver the highest level of service possible. You already know your Why – it’s in your heart!
Are you ready to discover it? Here’s how to find it and tap into it to help your business succeed.
How to find it
Discovering your Why is so important that we’ve made it part of the set up process for Teamzy. It’s more than your goals; it’s your overarching reason for doing what you do. Now, you can go through this process once and that’s it, but we encourage you to rediscover your Why every year and go deeper with it. Each time you do this exercise, you’ll delve into your heart of hearts and get to the root of why you’re in business.
- Why did you choose to become a distributor for your company? You could have become a distributor for any network marketing company. Why did you choose the one you did?
- How have the products changed your life? Did you have a problem and the products solved it? Did you live change from using them? If you have experienced dramatic results because of the products, share your story. Not only will others connect with it, they’ll also be able to connect with you at a deeper level. You’ll inspire others!
- What is the ultimate goal of your business? What do you hope to get out of it? Keep in mind that this can change over time. If you got into the business to make a few extra bucks each month, over time it may become your passion. Or, perhaps it started as your passion and you want the freedom to tell your story.
- What does achieving your goals mean for you and your family? This is where it becomes personal. If you’re not sure or are having trouble putting it into words, use visualization techniques to help you paint the right picture. See yourself and your family living the lives you want to lead. Then, think about the steps you need to take to make it a reality.
- Why is this meaningful? This is the core of the question – why is it meaningful to you. What’s meaningful to you may not matter to someone else, that’s what makes this so personal.
Take the time to think about your answers and absorb what the questions mean. Then, once you know your Why, write it down and post it where you can see it regularly. In fact, we recommend reading it daily before you start your Power Hour to help you set your mindset and prepare for success.
“People don’t buy WHAT you do, they buy WHY you do it.”– Simon Sinek
How your Why impacts your business
We’ve already mentioned that your Why keeps you motivated. It gives you that extra push you need to build the foundation for a strong business, even on the most challenging days.
However, did you know that it also makes you a better business leader? Take Simon Sinek’s quote above. When your customers buy your products or services, or your distributors join your team, they’re not doing it because of the products themselves. Sure, they may be great, life-changing products, but that’s not what it’s about. It’s because they like you. They like what you’re about, they appreciate your heart to serve and they want to see you succeed. People join your team because they believe in your mission and want to build a business like yours. They’re inspired by you and all you’ve achieved and want to emulate you. They see you as a role model.
This is especially true when they can connect with your Why for getting into business in the first place. They may say, “that’s why I want to go into business.” While the specific details are unique to you, many people share the basic ideas behind their Whys. Perhaps they want the freedom to work for themselves. They want to break away from the typical desk job and spend more time with their families. Maybe they long to find meaning in their jobs and are called to a business with heart and service at its core. They love your business because they connect with it at some level and also connect with you and what you’re about.
The more you reach out to your network, the more opportunities they have to connect with you. They have more chances to connect with your business and your reasons for starting it. In every connect and follow up, they can learn more about you and your business. When you listen for a way to help them, they’ll discover your heart to serve as well as the great products you offer. Then, as a result, they’ll want to buy from you, join your team, and/or introduce you to other people who can benefit from your business. What’s better than that? Not only are you building a business that you love you’re also building a business based on love and service.
How to use it to thrive in network marketing
One of the most important ways to remember your why is to make it part of your business. The more you make it part of your mindset, the more you’ll use it in your daily life, even when you’re not actively working on your business.
- Read your Why statement daily. The more you read it, the more you’ll connect with it on a daily basis. Keep it nearby so you can glance at it throughout the day, especially if you’re feeling unmotivated or stressed out.
- Make it part of your day. When you read your Why statement, absorb the meaning. Reconnect with what you were feeling when you wrote it. Then act with this purpose and intent in mind.
- Make it part of your decision-making process. Your Why helps to dictate your priorities. Once you have those straight, it’s easier to make bigger decisions. That is, if it abides by your Why, then make it part of your business and life. If not, let it pass by. Decisions that conform to or complement your Why are ones that won’t force you to choose between the most important things in your life and things that aren’t as important.
Build a business that conforms to your Why
We not only want you to find your Why, we want to help you build a business based on it. That’s why it’s part of your Teamzy Dashboard. We want to make it easier for you to include it in all aspects of your business. Click here to find out how.